How many e-readers have been bought so far?

It’s difficult to know exactly how many e-readers have been sold. I checked out information on the two most popular e-readers, Sony’s e-Reader and’s Kindle. While I was unable to find any sales numbers relating to the Sony device, it’s the Amazon one that truly puzzles me. boasts that the Kindle is their sitewide bestselling gift in its history. However, the site has caused a bit of an uproar in recent press because it has consistently avoided backing up their claims with numbers. The only indication that it is selling well is that the site often sells out of the product and customers sometimes have to wait a few weeks for it to become available again.

If you’re interested in purchasing an e-reader, check out the recent article below, which provides a pro and con comparison between the two popular devices.