How many animals are euthanized in America because they are picked up and can’t find a home?

I almost don’t even want to report this number because it is much larger than I would have expected and makes me quite sad.  However, only through education can we begin to realize some of the problems we can help to alleviate.

In 2008 approximately 3.7 million (thats 3,700,000) animals were euthanized. This includes 56% of dogs and 71% of cats that are surrendered to or who are taken in by organizations such as the humane society.  While there are sometimes reasons that necessitate euthanizing an animal, such as incurable illness, overly aggressive behavior or injury, many are euthanized due to overcrowding. 

What can you do?  Donate your time or money.  Have a tracking chip in your pet to increase the chance you will be reunited.  And, as Bob Barker says, “Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered”.

Unfortunately, that looks to be around 3-4 million. That’s roughly about half that enter the shelter facility. It really doesn’t seem fair when you think about it. There are enough people with land that could be given incentives to use their land as a santuary. However, euthsanization has decreased by 6-10 million since the 70’s.