How long were dinosaurs on the Earth?

Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for more than 160 million years, far longer than humans have. Beginning in the late Triassic Period some 230 million years ago, dinosaurs began to grow much larger than any other creatures and began to dominate the landscape. Many species came and went over the next millions of years until a meteor struck the Earth just off the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, triggering climate change across the globe that chocked out all dinosaur life.

Dinosaurs existed on Earth from the Triassic Period through the Cretaceous Period, which ended at the K-T boudary, marking the extinction of the dinosaurs.  The three periods encompassed in the dinosaurs’ existence together make up the Mesozoic era, which lasted from 248 my (million years ago) to 65 my.