How long do I need to dry my herbs from my garden before I can use them for cooking?

You can use your fresh herbs in cooking also.  If using fresh herbs, they should be added later in the process than dry herbs (which take longer to release their flavor).  Drying of herbs is a means to preserve them longer, and here are some steps for this purpose:

-Wash the herbs after harvesting and pat them dry, to avoid mildew or fungus that may form

-Remove lower foliage from the stem and hang-dry a bundle of herbs tied together at their stems in a dry, warm, dark, and well ventilated room

*-Leave to dry for between 1 and 3 weeks*

-Remove the leaves of the herb from their stems once dry and place in airtight containers

-The dry herb should keep well for around a year, and other types can also be frozen for prolonged storage

Check out the link attached for more information.

Air drying is an easy and inexpensive way to dry fresh herbs without depleting herbs of their natural (tasty!) oils. The process works best with herbs that don’t have a high moisture content to begin with (e.g. Bay, Dill, Oregano, Rosemary, Savory, Marjoram, and Thyme, etc).

By contrast, those herbs which are naturally dense in moisture (Chives, Mint, Basil, and Tarragon, to name a few) preserve better by processing them in a dehydrator (which saps water without draining those oils) or by freezing.

In a pinch, a microwave can be used to “speed dry” herbs, but it’s generally the least recommended (and tasty) way to preserve herbs.

The cited link provides extensive instructions and guides to herb drying in a way that best retains the flavor of specific herbs.