How long do children have to be before you can test their IQ?

I had my IQ tested at my elementary school when I was in the third grade. My wicked-smart older brother had his IQ tested at his school in kindergarten. I visited one site that said it could test a child’s IQ as early as age 3, but its accreditation is questionable. I’ve attached a link for a more credible series of guidelines for testing the intelligence of young children. It seems as though the most common time to test is when a child enters primary school (especially public school), because children with gifted intelligence quotients are considered “special needs” children, and are often placed in more advanced curriculum.

It should be noted that IQ is a really imperfect system. The man who invented IQ tests didn’t mean for it to be a measure of overall intelligence, but a way of figuring out which students were behind at certain grade levels and needed extra help.

IQ tests seem to measure a lot of things that aren’t really related to how smart you are. In particular, your score is higher if you attended a school that receives more funding, if you have more experience with test-taking, and if you’re familiar with mainstream middle class culture.