How have climate skeptics worked to keep a 2010 climate deal from going through?

Climate skeptics are generally people who stand to benefit financially from the continued use of fossil fuels. Therefore, I would say the main impact has probably come from the all powerful energy lobby in the U.S. From the most recent stimulus bill, more money went to bailing out car companies (which helps domestic car companies and oil companies) than went towards green initiatives. As far as the Copenhagen summit, the lobby did not have any direct say in legislation, however they definitely have Obama’s ear because of how much money they contribute to the government, so they might have influenced his decisions in some way (although I personally do not think they did, and I do believe that Obama took significant steps in laying the groundwork for future binding global environmental legislation).