how has recycling affected America in the last 10 years?

From personal experience, I can say that I have seen a lot more interest in recycling during that time. Also, I have seen more products made from recycled materials than ever before.  However, I still notice many people that do not recycle, even when the opportunity to easily do so exists.

Now, to the numbers. According to the linked source, there has been a 100 percent increase in recycling in the US over the last decade. 53.4 percent of all paper products are now recycled in the US and 32.5 percent of waste overall is recycled. That comes out to 1.5 pounds of materials that are recycled each day per person in the US.

Beyond continuing to change the mindset of Americans toward an idea that the world has finite resources that we should take care in wasting, we have benefited from recycling in the areas of energy costs, air and water pollution, landfill space, and street trash.

A short list made from the link below that cites several websites itself:

States who have laws for bottle deposits create 35-40% less litter.

Just by recycling aluminum you can save almost 100% of the energy it takes to make new aluminum from scratch. Over half of an aluminum is made from recycled aluminum in the country, saving a great deal in energy costs and fossil fuel emissions.

Recycling just one ton of paper prevents the use of 17 trees, 7000 gallons of water, 3 cubic yards of landfill space and over 4000 kilowatt-hours of electricity.