How green is the hairdressing industry?

1

Answers

The whole thing is a walking disaster. But let me suggest why in a way you might not have anticipated.

I’ve spent 1,000s of hours in a virtual world called Second Life. I met the woman I almost married there, I’ve made friendships that have lasted for years. So let’s assume for the sake of discussion that Second Life can be a good thing.

What does that have to do with hairdressing? Lots.

Second Life is cutting-edge technology. Many people need to reduce the video quality just to be able to run it on their computers! People who are there for long soon start asking: How can I improve my performance?

Well, guess what. The makers of Second Life had to make some hard decisions about what to make beautiful, etc. Would it be trees? Or the ocean? Or textures on furniture?

None of them. What women in particular overwhelmingly want is beautiful hair. Beautiful, flowing hair. And guess what? Computationally, it costs a fortune. But will women give it up for flat, unmoving hair? Absolutely not.

The same problem applies to the real world hairdressing industry. My belief is that, as in Second Life, many women really don’t care much what else they have to give up to have beautiful hair. There can be toxins in the process, toxins left in the hair, toxins caused by unecological shampoo and conditioners … and … in the big picture that just isn’t significant enough to many women to stop them from using those products.

And of course, the manufacturers know that. Their primary incentive is not to improve ecologically, but to improve cosmetically. And that’s exactly what many consumers want.