How does wind change direction?

Changes in direction of wind have to do with changes in temperature over bodies of water and land. During the day, the temperature over land is warmer than over water, so hot air from over land rushes out towards sea. During the night, the air above the water is warmer than the air above land, so the air rushes from the sea back to land.

Wind direction also has a lot to do with changing atmospheric pressures caused by temperature changes. Cooler air hangs heavier and puts pressure on surrounding air currents, forcing a directional change. Hotter air changes wind direction alleviates pressure and releases constrained air currents.

(By the way, great question! I never would have thought to look up this information on my own, but I’m really glad I know it now!)