How does stress affect your appetite?

Personally, stress either really makes me want to eat a lot of junk food or eat nothing at all. If I am nervous before a big job interview or presentation, I am never hungry. I just want to practice and concentrate on the task before me. My other needs sort of shut down. However, if the stress is more related to something that is due the next day, my stress causes me to munch quickly on bite-sized things, usually a lot of chocolate.

Two different stress hormones are released during such events, which help explain my own behavior. One is cortisol, which lasts longer in the bloodstream and stimulates the appetite, while the other is Corticotrophin-Releasing Factor, which activates the symphatic nervous system and sort of shuts down the appetite.

Stress can work to have two completely opposite effects in a person’s body-either causing one to overeat or to lose their appetite completely. When you overeat, it is because dynorphin, an endorphin, is released which causes you to feel hungry. When you eat your body releases dopamine, which then makes you feel comforted and relieves your stress. On the other hand, when you become severely stressed, your body can react by suppressing it’s appetite as a survival mechanism from the sympathetic nervous system. After severe stress, however, you may go through a rebound period where you crave large amounts of food after not eating for awhile.

It really depends.  Some people become “too sick to eat”, while others engage in compulsive behavior when nervous.  Additionally, stress can affect one’s sleep cycle, which would have an effect on eating habits.

Stress creates the situation in which I eat less.

I am under stress, so I forget to eat, don’t feel hungry, have to set the alarm and eat because I MUST rather than I wish to.

When my weigh drops down to a scary level I get fewer and signals to eat, and I find I must  get calory/fat/protein rich foods in order to gain the weight back.

It is easier to lose weigh rather than to gain it. The joy of a disability.

Addtionally, stress has been linked to several health problems including issues with your digestive system.  These may include but are not limited to; 1. diarrhea, 2. constipation, 3. IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, 4. GERD/acid reflux, 5. nausea, 6. chest pain, 7. lack of sex drive, 8. moodiness, 9. trouble sleeping, and 10. constant worrying.

Stress is something we’re all exposed to. In order to live a healthy and happy life we need to now how to manage our stress.  If you’d like more information, please see the following links.