How does recycling affect the different levels of government?

I’m doing a project on recycling, but I can’t seem to find out how recycling affects the local, state, and national levels of government. If anyone has an answer or a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve provided a link, but I don’t know if it’ll work since it was for a a class I took last semester and you may need a username/password to access the link. I’ll summarize it to the best of my abilities though. 

I’d say that recycling has the greatest impact at the local level. Increased recycling means reduced landfilling, and this has a positive economic and land usage impacts. Municipal governments must pay a tipping fee for use of a landfill. The national average tipping fee in 2008 was $42.08/ton and as high as $96/ton in Vermont. By diverting some of this waste to recycling facilities, cities can save a good amount of money. Furthermore, the faster a landfill is filled, the sooner another one must be created. This uses a lot of land and must be created in areas with low populations. This is a costly procedure, both money-wise and time-wise.

This is all mostly at the local government level. My guess would be that state and national governments would like recycling to save costs as well as gives off a positive image.

Recycling can affect state and national level of government if a political candidate adds a promise to increasing/decrease recycling to their platform. One reason to do this is to draw the green vote, and if said candidate wanted to keep the green vote, they would have to push recycling-related laws and regulations in what ever political sector they belong to.