How does the financial cost compare with the environmental costs of extracting, processing, and shipping raw materials?

If I were to answer from my field of experience, the financial cost is probably worth the environmental destruction, to these companies. The extraction, processing, and shipping of raw materials has been completely externalized from the model by which many of these companies function. Companies would not follow these methods if it did not turn a hefty profit for them. In my opinion, there is no way to directly convert between the economic cost and the environmental cost, as the economic cost really only directly relates to human activities. Environmental destruction affects all organisms, beyond the economic costs.