How does clean eating help the environment?

I am not entirely sure what you mean by ‘clean eating’ – I know this is the name of a magazine.  To me ‘clean eating’ refers to eating whole foods as close to nature as possible.  When you grab an apple off a tree, for instance, there is no impact to the environment.  However if you purchase apple sauce or apple juice, there is much energy used in the production of these items and their packaging and this increases our carbon footprint. 

Clean eating in my opinion means eating locally, minimizing environmental impacts associated with transporting food. It also means eating organically, staying away from genetically modified seeds that support the use of pesticides and herbicides. Clean eating involves the use of natural food sources, whether it is free range cattle, or chemical free fruits and veggies. The less chemicals on our food, the better our health is as well as the health of the environment from having less chemicals in the soil, water, and atmosphere.

Clean eating means eating food that is unprocessed or minimally treated.  These foods are in their most natural state so they retain the most nutrition as well.  Clean eating helps the environment in a number of ways – one of which is clean foods ideally not be treated with pesticides, antibiotics, hormones or other chemicals.  Another is whole foods do not use as much energy to prepare and do need to have a number of other things added to them like high fructose corn syrup.  Clean eating foods come straight from the animal or plant and if they are locally sourced they will not require as much fossil fuels or other energy sources to get to your local market.