How do you make fuel from plants?

Scientists have been able to convert the plant material cellulose into fuel by extracting glucose from the cellulose and then either feeding it to yeast, which will turn the glucose into ethanol, or by chemically converting the glucose into liquid fuels. 

Using the oil of plants is one of the easiest way to make fuel from plants. My uncle does this with a diesel Mercedes that he converted to run on biodiesel. He simply collects used frying oil from his favorite restaurants, then filters it before putting it in his car. Restaurants cannot legally re-use vegetable oil, and it cost them money to dispose of it, so my uncle gets it for free. Here is a more detailed description of how to make your own biodiesel: