How do you get rid of a computer virus?

My screen is frozen entirely, and it won’t turn off.

Computer viruses come in different forms, but are typically stored in files on the computer’s hard drive. There are several computer anti-virus applications that will search the computer for known viruses and clean the files. Files can sometimes be cleaned of the virus while maintaining the file’s original integrity, but more often the file must be removed from the computer. Often, however, the infected file is a file that was placed on the computer from the virus in the first place.

I personally use a free, open-source anti-virus application called ClamAV. A link to their home-page is below. They make a version for Windows in addition to their Linux version.

If your screen is frozen, you may need to employ the use of a rescue disk. If you don’t have one, you may try to boot the machine from an installation disk for Windows or whatever operating system your computer uses. Hopefully, you have backups of your important files, because you may need to reinstall the operating system and might lose some or all of your files.

Good luck!

I once had my entire operating system taken over by a virus.  If you’re turning on your computer, and the virus is not even allowing you to see your desktop, I would recommend using another connection to the internet to browse support forums to look for solutions.  I am not at all tech saavy, and I was able to follow the directions to safely remove the virus from my system.  I would also recommend looking at AVG’s free online anti-virus software.  Going forward, it’s effective at keeping your system out of harms way, and best of all, it’s free!