How do you cure a stuffy nose?

I have a MAJOR stuffed up nose, I can barely breathe through it. It’s all junked up inside. Thanks

3

Answers

Although it might sound a little strange at first blush, nasal irrigation is very effective.  You take a slightly warmed solution of salt water, tilt your head back, and pour it up your nostrils.   I was surprised when I tried it, as it wasn’t at all uncomfortable as I expected and it did the job well! 

Here are some things you can do to cure your stuffy nose. Also check out the citations for more helpful hints.

1. Breathe in steam. Breathing in the steam from a hot shower may help the nose run and reduce stuffiness. If you don’t want to take a shower, heat a pot of water and place your face over it with a towel draped over your head to help keep the steam in. Placing a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the pot may help relieve a stuffy nose. Be careful to avoid burning yourself. Inhale the steam two or three times a day for about 10 minutes each time.

2. Drink something hot. Hot herb tea or hot chicken broth may help unblock the nose. The hot beverages help the mucus drain from the nose. Drinking a lot of liquids also helps thin the mucus, which may make it flow out easier.

3. Place a breathing strip on your nose. One side of the strip has an adhesive, which is placed over the bridge of the nose. Breathing strips work by holding the nasal passages open. Various brands of breathing strips are available over the counter, including strips sized for children. Although they may not completely unblock your nose, they don’t have side effects and may help reduce the stuffiness.

4. Sleep with your head raised. Lying flat while sleeping may add to nasal congestion and stuffiness. Raise the angle you sleep at by placing several pillows under your head to raise it to at least a 30-degree angle. This may help the mucus drain from the nose.

5. Eat spicy foods. Spicy foods, such as chili peppers, can make the nose run and ease a stuffy nose.

You can buy a Neti Pot at your local pharmacy. A Neti Pot is used as a means of nasal irrigation with saline solution, as sarahtonin suggested. One thing my mom would have us do as kids is breath hot steam infused with eucalyptus. She would put a little bit of eucalyptus extract in a pot of water, heat the water until almost boiling, then we would hover over the steam with a towel over our heads and the pot. The strong herbal smell and the steam would always help alleviate the stuffy nose and even a sore throat.