How do you cook cactus?

3

Answers

There are many ways to cook with cactus.  One of the more common components of a cactus that is used in cooking is the fruit, often known in english as the prickly pear.  The fruit can be boiled in stews, used to make wine, baked, grilled, or even eaten raw.  Below is an article that gives a little history lesson about a festival dedicated to cooking with cactus and gives three different recipes to try at home.

Most cactus I’ve encountered has been boiled – simply scrub the outside and remove any spines or rough areas, then cut into strips or dice each cactus leaf and let it boil for about 15 minutes.  Tastes a lot like green beans, and I know it’s great for blood sugar and cholesterol.  I’ve heard (never tried it) that it’s a great hangover cure as well.

Here is a website that shows how to cook cactus. The main dish is called “Nopales,” or Cactus Paddles.