How do we monitor how much pollution a company has?

The Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) is program run by the Environmental Protection Agency of the US Government. The program requires certain industries and companies to report their emissions of certain chemicals and pollutants. This program has required more compounds to be recorded and more companies to report since its creation.

The TRI started with the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act of 1986, and was expanded through the Pollution Prevention Act of 1990.

Check it out at:

I just want to point out a way in which the EPA sometimes monitors a company. My boyfriend’s father owns a plating company which deals with numerous different harmful chemicals. One thing they do is place devices, measuring particulates of toxins and how acidic a solution is, into a sewer system. They place it just where his company meets me the sewer. They can do this without warning to try to catch companies illegally polluting our water system.

These systems are called remote data acquisition modules and are also used on smokestacks or exhaust pipes to measure air pollution.