How do people that live in the heat deal with it all the time?

Air conditioning and ice cold water. Really good air conditioning and fan systems are a must for Texas summers. Swimming pools and misters are nice when cooling off outdoors too.

Growing up in Florida, and having lived a number of summers without AC at home, I’ve learned that pools are valuable pieces to spend time in. Even the luke-warm Gulf of Mexico is preferable to not being in water at all. Stick to shaded areas always, even though in Florida the humidity makes shade into a running joke. The water moisture holds the heat everywhere, even in areas which are well sheltered from the sun. Frozen fruit is a good way to go.

Being a Maryland resident, we get very, very humid summers and become entirely dependent on central air conditioning in our homes and businesses.  There were many days this summer where we were on a code red, which means that being outside during daytime peak hours (11am-4pm) can be very dangerous due to the intensity of sun and heat.  On days such as those, most people remain indoors or spend only brief periods of time outside.  Staying hydrated is the key to enduring very hot summers.

Like necolepe said, staying hydrated is really important, as well as staying indoors during the hottest part of the day.  Keeping windows covered allows less sunlight in, which can also be helpful.  A purely anecdotal way to help keep your house cooler is to fill the tub with cool water and just leave it there during the day.  I had a coworker who swore by this, though I have never tried it myself (I prefer to just leave instead).  If you live in the right kind of area, hanging out in a heavily wooded area tends to stay pretty cool because the trees block out most of the sunlight.