how do I report poor air quality in my neighborhood?

at least once a week usually on a Sunday night, an acrid odor from fire or something being incinerated pollutes the air outside my building, burning my eyes and my throat. This odor permeates the air for hours, so I have to keep my windows closed, but I still smell the smoke and still feel burning in my eyes and throat. Can I file a complaint and if so, to whom?



  1. 0 Votes

    You will want to file a complaint with your state environmental department. There are different names for this department depending on where you are. For example, I live in Phoenix, so I would file a complaint with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ). All state environmental agencies enforce the Clean Air Act with is federal legislation through the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). If nothing is done about the situation, then you may want to consider purchasing an indoor air purifier. I hope this information helps you and good luck.

  2. 0 Votes

    I say consult your lawyer as soon as possible. This is definitely a nuisance claim, and you can get a lot of money for it. If it leaves a residue, you can file it under a trespass claim. I learned this from taking an environmental law class at UC Davis. Don’t just take my word for it, though. Start gathering evidence now and go to your lawyer. In cases like this, you’ll want to get a lawyer who will collect a certain percentage of the settlement because a lawyer who gets nothing if you lose will work a lot harder on the case. You might want to contact your neighbors as well.

    Just for inspiration, you might want to watch the movie Erin Brockovich. It is based on a true story, so you might want to get your neighbors together for a movie night to entice them to file suit with you.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!