How do I know if my lip balm is petroleum-based?

The most common and popular forms of lip-balm, including Blistex and Chapstick, are all formed with petroleum-based products.

Non-petroleum balms are clearly marked as such, and it is a good idea to check the label when considering your purchase. If it doesn’t specifically say ‘non-petroleum’ or ‘petroleum-free’, it probably isn’t.

I would suggest either Badger lip balm, or Pangea Organics.  They have a wonderful assortment of products that are effective, and really pleasant to use – and the best part is that none of their ingredients are petroleum-based, and are free of synthetic fragrances and dyes, and other harsh chemicals. 

Check the ingredients! Go with organic lip balms, especially if they have the USDA approved sticker. Wet N’Wild came out with lip balm for cheap prices as well – and they have the USDA sticker. Burt’s Bees is also a great brand!

It should be listed on the ingredients. I agree with everyone above – Pangea and Burt’s Bees are both good. I also love John Masters Lip Calm and Dr. Hauschka Lip Care Stick.

Here’s a search for lip balm on our organic beauty website, which will show you all the results: