How do I know I am getting a good product if I buy it refurbished?

Many refurbished products come with a guarantee if you buy them from a legitimate source. Best Buy and Apple fully guarantee the quality of their refurbished products and will include a warranty with your purchase. Be wary of buying refurbished products off of sites like ebay though; these may not come with a guarantee and you may end up getting ripped off.

I recently had a friend purchase a refurbished computer that in about 6 months started having multiple problems. Fortunately he had a warranty so he was covered, if he had not chosen to get the warranty he would have been paying hundreds of dollars for repairs. I would strongly recommend getting a warranty for any refurbished product, especially an expensive one, it could end up saving you hundreds of dollars down the line. For an expensive item such as a computer I would consider getting at least a two year warranty if possible.