How do I grow my own fruit tree in my back yard?

1

Answers

There are a lot of positive answers here (unlike your cherry tree, which I suspect is pretty much finished its process).

Orchard farming is big, big business, and there are many people all the way from those with small backyards to those who farm acres who are very interested in this question.

The fastest and simplest way to get fruit trees going in your backyard is to check around with your neighbors. Find out what trees grow well, and which have good-tasting fruit. People love to talk about their favorite trees, you’ll make a lot of friends!

When you decide what you want, get a jump start: Buy a tree that’s a good 5 feet tall already at your local nursery. If you buy late in the season, you’ll get a discount, if you buy earlier in the season (like right now, in May), your new trees will have some good quality time to start growing before winter sets in. I don’t know where you are, but here in mid-California where growing is very good, I still wouldn’t wait longer than another three months. In many other areas, time this year is running out.

The Internet is excellent for is advice about farming. There are several outstanding sites — and the US Federal Government has a huge amount of information, too. (You can even go in person to your local agricultural agency and ask questions.)

From my own family experience, I’ll make a suggestion. Growing your own trees is a golden opportunity to have things that are never available in the market, or which are very expensive. In my family, in various places, we have had macadamia nuts (worth their weight in silver, practically!), kumquats, olives, and exotic citrus fruits. When you determine what grows well in your area, shop around. Your local nursery probably only has the kinds everybody recognized. Shopping online might be for you.

Make sure you go for trees that grow well in your area, and do not forget the effect of global warming in your area. Global warming effects are now very well understood, very specifically down to regions. In my area, it’s understood that what is semi-arid is turning into desert. Your area, however might be slated for colder temperatures, more extreme temperatures, etc. 

With fruit trees, you’ll want to plan ahead so that they match what’s likely to happen in your area.