How do fish end up ingesting so much mercury?



  1. 0 Votes

    The process by which some fish end up with large levels of Mercury in their flesh is called Bioaccumulation. Basically there is a a very small amount of toxins in this case Mercury in the environment. The algae and other small plants accumulate a little bit, then small animals eat the plants, larger animals eat the small animals ect ect until you reach the top of the food chain. In the ocean environment each member up the food chain is still inhabiting the polluted environment and therefore also accumulating its own small amount of toxin. The large, long lived fish end up accumulating the most toxins which can sometimes be at levels that are dangerous for human consumption. 

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!