How can we make homes use less energy than they do now?

Replace incandescent light bulbs with LEDs, install low flow faucets and shower heads, and set your thermostat up or down a few degrees in the Summer and winter respectively.  You could also replace windows with more efficient ones, make sure you have proper insulation, get energy efficient appliances and use only what you need.  All of these things will help you consume less energy, and cut your costs.

This is a little “outside the box” but it works: if you have a basement, use it. Make it more enjoyable down there so you can spend more time there in the summer rather than crank that AC up. I know people that have done this and have seen a difference in their bill, plus I now have an apartment that’s in a basement and I didn’t have to turn my AC on once last summer.