How can recycling plants be changed to be more eco friendly?

The efficiency of a recycling plant depends upon its inputs and outputs. If it requires a lot of energy to operate at normal capacity, and the means of generating that electricity is inefficient, then the efficiency of the plant suffers in terms of sustainability (eco-friendliness) as well. So one way to make recycling plants more efficient is to ensure that their energy is derived from a renewable source. I am not sure how many solar / hydro / geotherm / biomech / wind powered recycling plants there are in existence, but I do know that there has to be a way to make recycling a net-zero / carbon-neutral process — meaning that the process of recycling the raw materials would not produce excess pollution in the process. (Savings would exceed the costs.)