How can people still deny the existence of climate change when it has had such devastating effects in so many places?

I’ve known geologists and paleontologists who have thought in terms of millions of years during a lot of studying and work days.  They’ve studied extinctions and evolution so much that another climate change doesn’t mean too much for them.  They are generally eco-friendly and are into nature as well, but they see human civilization (and life for that matter) as just a second of earth’s history, and know that extinction is inevitable, so they are happy just going about their business and enjoying life.  This perception may cause them to be inactive in regards to climate change, because they think human existence isn’t such a big deal.  From my experience, they are really nice, though.