How can I protect my lips when I go out into the sun?

There are actually sunscreens for your lips so they do not burn when you go into the sun. Some of these come in the form of a chapstick containing SPF protection. The skin on our lips is exceptionally sensitive compared to other areas of the body which people often apply sunscreen to. It is important to adequately protect lips, so it is a good idea to buy a cream or chapstick with UVA/UVB protection. Some are also waterproof and they can usually be found at any drugstore. There is an informational article in my citations which might be helpful to read. 

According to, anything that says “sun block” on it is a good place to start. Look for one that has a zinc oxide base and at least 30 SPF.  It’s important to reapply every two hours or more frequently depending upon the type of exposure.