How can I prevent ants from infesting my home?

Clean surfaces of your home daily, make sure food is always thrown away in a specific garbage can, make sure you clean thoroughly in places where food tends to be (kitchen, dining room, etc.).

Don’t leave dirty dishes on the counter over night and try to seal up any entrances inside and outside of the house. The link has some additional tips, including foods that are supposed to deter ants, but I can’t speak for them personally.

In addition to the above, going through your kitchen and looking for little openings or drafty spots and sealing those up is a good step. In regards to prevention, making sure that the perimeter of your home is clear of grass or debris is also important. The link below sites chili powder and paprika as useful natural deterrents (I personally can attest that salt doesn’t work).