How can I make working on my laptop better for the environment?

Unless you are capable of engineering a different power configuration for your laptop, I would say that your options are limited.  Power conservation would be the only factor you could reasonably control.  So I that basically leaves running the screen dimmer and turning it off when it’s not in use.

Scientists in Switzerland last year developed a way to use the excess heat produced by computers to warm office buildings.  This is a significant development in energy efficiency with regard to computers.

Piggybacking off of what getwithrico said, unplug your power cord when not using your laptop.  Even if a power cord is not attached to any device, it can still drain energy from the socket.  The less energy you use overall, the better.