How can I keep vegetables fresh longer?

Simple tasks can be done to ensure your vegetables stay fresh longer:

Do not wash your vegetables before storing them. Putting wet vegetables into storage promotes bacterial growth. Wash them before you are going to use them instead.

Leafy greens should be put in plastic storage bags.

Root vegetables should be kept in perforated plastic bags, with a few holes in them. It is better to cut off the leafy tops before storing root vegetables because they draw moisture out of the root.

Cauliflower, broccoli, and brussel spouts should be kept in plastic storage bags.

Cabbage should be wrapped in plastic.

Refrigerate.  Or freeze.  Keep in a cool, dry place.

You can keep asparagus fresh by putting the spears tips up in a glass of water in the fridge. If you have a limp carrot, parsnip, lettuce, spinach (etc) cut off the tip and put them in a glass of water too, they (hopefully!) will soak up the water and be fresher. 

A salad spinner will also help perk up lettuce, as well as drying it.

And keep potatos in the dark. 

I also store my bananas away from the rest of the fruit because of the ripening gas they produce.