How can I keep the heat down in my house during the summer?

Weatherstrip your windows, close your blinds, used insulated curtains that keep heat out, use ceiling fans to pull the heat up out of the living areas, and other suggestions found below.

I have a technique that works pretty well. As soon as the sun comes up, make sure your curtains on every window are closed. They will be most effective if the side that faces that sun is white, or a very light color. Try to leave your windows closed during the day if possible. Then at night, open all your windows to let hot air escape out and cooler air in. This way when the sun comes back up in the morning, you close your windows keeping the cool air in as long as you can (with shades drawn). It works pretty well for those who have no air conditioning!