How can I find out what plants grow native to where I am?

Your county cooperative extension service should be able to provided you with a lot of information about native plants as well as domesticated plants that thrive in your climate.  Most cooperative extensions work through universities or county offices.  Many also offer comprehensive gardening classes and workshops called the, “master gardener program”. 

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at the University of Texas provides a database of native plants by state. You can go to the website: Next, click on your state for a list of native plants. Click on the scientific name link for each plant to reveal further details about it. The U.S. Department of Agriculture also has a plant database. Here is the website: You can click on State Search (first link on the bar on the left side), select your state, and then check the results.

There are a few different ways you can learn what plants are native to your area. You can check your local library for native plants books. I have been able to find books specific to all the different states I have looked in. You can also check in with local botanical gardens, nurseries, or email your local park system. Another way to find what plants are native to your area is look up exotic or invasive species in your area and ensure you don’t purchase or plant any of those species.