How can I be more green in my day to day activities?

The best way to be green is by changing your life in little ways. Such as: replacing lightbulbs, lessen shower times, turn your water heater down when not in use.  All of these things will lessen the amount of energy you are consuming.  To be even greener try buying recycled goods (including clothing!) and by recycling your goods! The website below explains that living a simpler life will automatically greenify your life.

Buy produce from local, organic producers. Consume less meat and dairy, as animal farms contribute to methane levels in the atmosphere and require a great deal of land, water, and feed that could be put to more efficient use such as growing crops instead. Turn your heater down a few degrees in the winter and your air conditioner up a few degrees in the summer. Unplug appliances when they are not in use. Buy items with less packaging to reduce waste. Take shorter showers. Use public transportation, bike, or walk more often rather than driving your car everywhere. Reduce the number of flights you take in a year. Use energy efficient light bulbs. There are many small things you can do to be more green.

I agree with everything you said, we really need to work to get more local food opportunities. I think that if we had more options and it was more easily doable a lot more people would do it.

There are many things you can do in your daily life to “go green”. Even better news, many of these things require little effort on your part, cost little or nothing, and some can even save you a nice chunk of change!

Here’s a few off the top of my head:

– Switch your light bulbs to CFLs.

– Buy as much of your food (especially produce) locally when possible.

– Take public transportation, carpool, walk or ride a bike whenever possible.

– Plan errands ahead so you can do as much in around the same area as possible and not have to make multiple trips. Planning what you will buy in advance also helps cut out those pesky “oops, I forgot this… better head back to the store!” trips. This type of efficiency will save you gas, save the world just a little bit of CO2 emmissions, and save you time!

– Don’t let your gas tank fall below the half-full mark. Gas evaporates quicker when there is more room to do so, so you’ll be wasting less gas by keeping your tank as full as possible. Also fill up your gas tank in the morning when it’s coolest, which makes the gasoline more dense. I’m including a link below for further details on these two pieces.

– Fix leaky faucets.

– Turn off all lights & electronics when they are not being used.

– Recycle, recycle, recycle! Of course glass, aluminum, and paper, but everything possible! Donate your unwanted clothes, children’s toys, etc. to thrift stores. Some thrift stores will even give you a receipt for the donations which you can use for deductions when doing your taxes.

– Start your own garden.

– Compost. If you need help getting started with this, check out “how-to” sites such as

– Switch from paper napkins to cloth.

– Use rechargeable batteries.

– Buy items in bulk & avoid individually wrapped products when possible.

– Wash & reuse aluminum foil & plastic zip lock bags.

– Make use of natural light, heat, and air whenever possible.

– Turn off the water when it’s not in use (like when you’re brushing your teeth or washing – as opposed to rinsing – the dishes).

– If you’re buying bottled water, switch to filtered tap. For one, it’s good for the environment. Secondly, it’s a lot cheaper. Third, many bottled waters are just tap water anyway!

– Turn off paper bank statements and any paper billing – it’s easier, quicker, and more environmentally friendly to handle these things online instead.

– If you print any documents at home, print on both sides whenever possible. You can also reuse as scrap paper for things like grocery lists, etc.

– Don’t sign up for magazines or mailing lists that you don’t really want!

– Send e-cards instead of paper cards when appropriate.

– Properly and safely dispose of chemicals and e-waste.

– Get rid of the ant/roach sprays! I use a product called Riddex, which keeps my home spider, ant, bug free by simply plugging into an outlet.

– Go camping or to the beach, or do whatever you like to do in a natural setting! I say this because the more you enjoy the beauty of nature, the more preserving it will be in the forefront of your mind!