How big will the houses in the future be?

I think we have learned that efficiency is better then excess. I think the houses of the future will take up less space and will be powered by sun and wind resources. Perhaps there will be movable walls to create hidden storage rather than spreading out, and if there is less space to heat and cool, energy loss will be reduced. Also, a big house will not be a symbol of status or success and instead people will spend more time enjoying the outdoor environment, which will be protected by these conservation principles.

Current energy efficent homes have an architectural style that is compact and simple. The homes are smaller, taller and take up a smaller footprint. The McMansions are going to hopefully phase out allowing the modern residential styles to flourish.