How are we using vertical farming in the United States?

Hey Scotttot.  Vertical farming is still in the planning process, so we aren’t using it just yet.  We are figuring out how to use it, though.  The first outline of a vertical farm was introduced in 2001 by a professor named Dickson Despommier from Columbia University in New York.  Though there is some debate over whether or not vertical farming is economically and environmentally worth it, we won’t know for sure until it happens.  Hopefully we will get to see this interesting farming method in the not-too-distant future!

Vertical farming is here now and will be installed throughout the USA and UK in 2010.  Check it out..   Time Magazine says Valcent’s Vertical Farming Technology one of the Top 50 Best Innovations of 2009:

“I can’t think of any technology that addresses more urgent issues than Valcent’s vertical farming system”, says RFK Jr

I agree I think the key to these systems is going to be to pair them with renewable energy technologies to help with the high levels of energy consumption for these types of projects.