How are water filters disposed of ultimately?

There are carbon water filter recycle boxes in grocery stores and other places. Please inform me as to where all these chemicals end up. Does the carbon get reactivated?

1

Answers

Sophisticated water filters for the home may use several purification stages. When their useful life is finished, it means some part of the filtration is largely full of contaminants. Since presumably it’s tap water being filtered, and presumably that water is relatively safe, then the filter is “just” full of things such as lead, chromium, mercury, hydrogen sulfide, chlorine, iron, zinc and aluminum. (See the ZeroWater link.)

Some more expensive home filters also remove pharmaceuticals. (Drugs that have been thrown away, or passed by the body.)

Britta recycling emphasizes recycling the plastic and carbon, and I can’t help wondering where the things I’m really concerned about go. (E.g., the poisonous metals.) The Britta site implies that the “filter ingredients” are “regenerated for alternative use or converted into energy”. Then there’s a study by “Preserve” which calculates the “benefits” of recycling outweighs the impact of the cost of shipping. I.e., there’s some question whether more pollution is created recycling than tossing in the dump.

But even given recycling programs, it’s likely most of these filters — and the toxic chemicals they’ve trapped — just end up in garbage dumps.