how are money and corruption synonomous/inseprable

I need it for an upcoming debate in my school. Its between class 10s and class 9s. i m going for the motion, so please could you help me as soon as possible.

4

Answers

This book by Henry L. Bretton argues that corruption is inseperable from the institutionalized structure of politics, which relies on money, and that even nominally political organizations are designed to “accomodate finessing by monetary means.”

A user on the TedTalks forum says, “Money doesn’t really exist. Money is just a claim check upon the capital resources of the real economy. It’s just a virtual artifice built upon real output.”

In the Oxford English Dictionary, the most academic English dictionary in existance, this is the sixth definition of corruption:

a. Perversion or destruction of integrity in the discharge of public duties by bribery or favour; the use or existence of corrupt practices, esp. in a state, public corporation, etc

An example of this definition used in historical context is in Act 11 of Shakespeare’s Henry VII: “If any of the petit Jury toke‥any some of money‥after any suche corrupcion by the Graund Jury founden.”

“The most academic dictionary in existence”? Perhaps you mean it has the highest academic reputation? It has the most words of any dictionary in any language, and is the longest dictionary with historical sources in the English language, but in my experience, writing for academia and in business, it has equal authority with Merriam-Webster and even American Heritage.

It depends on the field you are writing for. I probably did not use the best phrasing. In my field of academia, though, the OED has much higher authority than either Merriam-Webster or American Heritage.

The observation that there’s a problem with money was made at least as far back as the New Testament. So you know there’s got to be some significant moral problem, here. The book 1 Timothy, chapter 6, verse 10 reads: “The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil”. (That’s a standard translation, across many Bibles.)

There’s some interesting commentary in the URL, if you scroll down a bit.

Add to those little essays that a problem with money is that it is, in a sense, “all things to all people”. To me it might mean a new computer, but to you it might mean taking care of your sick Mom. To another person it might mean the difference between getting into the school they want, and achieving their life’s dreams.

I.e., whatever it is we want — reasonable, unreasonable — money is often the most important part of the solution we imagine in our fantasies. So money becomes the stuff of fantasy.

Of course, getting that money might be tremendously difficult, maybe even more trouble than it’s worth, but that’s not what people focus on. They focus on that moment when all the difficulties are behind them, and the money is in hand.

Will the money solve the problem? Often enough people who get great amounts of money for indefinite reasons find they are not happier than they were before. (Lottery winners often spend the money, and a couple years later are living their previous lifestyle.)

So it’s the love of money that is the problem when it equates to being free of trouble.