How are light sensors used in large buildings to use less energy?

Just as you sometimes see a house’s porch light turn on as you pass while taking an evening stroll through your neighborhood, more and more motion-sensitive light fixtures are popping up in commercial sites and other large buildings. When no motion is detected, lights will dim or turn off completely, but will turn back on if someone walks into the room or passes by, thus triggering the motion detector. Many school classrooms have these, and my university library recently had motion-sensitive lights installed throughout the countless rows and rows of books. I was recently shopping at Target and noticed that the refrigerator and freezer lights in the market department of the store all turned on as I passed through the aisle. This is a great way to save energy, since lights are only on when there are people nearby to utilize it.