How are geese or ducks treated in the production of duvets? Are there companies that treat the animals humanely?

Well, the duvet companies themselves don’t usually do the feather harvesting. They’re typically bought from feather harvesting farms, where the feathers are either harvested post mortem, in some cases, or when the birds are still alive. The latter, of course, is horrible, as the feathers are usually harvested 5-6 times a year, which is painful for the birds. If you’re worried about the humane treatment, I would say that your best bet would be to get a duvet with synthetic fibers in it rather than real feathers.

This is a thank-you from the person who asked the question to the person who answered it. Thank-you for taking the time to do so. I’m not sure yet which route I’ll go (down or synthetic), but it’s good to get some feedback on the subject.

Duvets containing Icelandic Eiderdown feathers are often collected from old nests, not from the birds backs. This collection process is more dangerous though, and therefore more costly.