How and when can I prune my crabapple?

W live south of Calgary on an acreage. We planted a crab-apple about 18 years ago on the west side of our house. It has done really well and was 30 feet tall, so my husband cut it back. It still thrives, but it looks ugly. What is the best time to do a major prune on an apple, and how can we prune it so that it looks more natural?

Winter is the best time to prune a tree, but early spring is acceptable as well. This allows the tree to grow and become used to the pruning before flowering season.

Now, we must remember that the best reason for pruning is not aesthetics. Tree illness and human safety should be your first priorities when considering pruning. So, take a long hard look at your tree and really decide whether or not you want to take the risk of pruning, since pruning is a potentially dangerous endeavor.

The first link below is a guide to pruning, since it would take a long time to teach you how to prune safely! It’s very comprehensive, and will teach you how to be a judicious pruner.