Honest opinion– do you think fair trade coffee tastes just as good as non-fair trade coffee?

Disclaimer- I have never tried fair trade coffee because I assume it won’t taste as good. I’m starting to think I need to be more open minded and give it a shot, but wanted to hear other people’s opinions.

Personally I don’t like coffee, but I have had other fair trade products, like chocolate, and in the case of the chocolate, the fair trade chocolate actually tasted a lot better than the standard chocolate. If I were to speculate on the coffee, I would guess that it wouldn’t taste any different because I imagine it is the same coffee, just coming to you through a way that is more fair to the producers. Also, you might as well try, I mean what’s the worst that could happen, you have one bad cup of coffee?

Acquired taste, perhaps.  I can’t say I drink coffee regularly – as in, I drink maybe a mugfull every couple of weeks.  And this might be the reason that I have a hard time agreeing with the “fair trade coffee tastes bad” blogs.  Coffee is coffee to me, it’s neither a cup of heaven on a cold morning nor something I have to gag down like cough syrup.  I can understand people’s opinions of the taste varying, just like taste opinions on Ozarka vs. Deja Blue or Jack Daniels vs. Jameson’s vary.  Most people don’t like things they’re not used to as much as they like the things they’re used to.

Fair trade coffee tastes like coffee.

: )

I have lived in Seattle, the hometown of Starbucks, Seattle’s Best, Tully’s, and many other coffee shops, for more than three years. Before I arrived, I hardly ever drank coffee but now I drink it everyday. I have gone to so many chains and independent coffee houses in Seattle I have begun to know the difference between good coffee and bad. Really good coffee will taste good and make you feel good and not drowsy. My favorite coffee is Caffe Vita coffee, which happens to be 100% fair trade and often organic as well. Another favorite is Stumptown coffee which practices “direct trade,” and 15th Avenue Coffee and Tea. 15th Avenue is actually Starbucks remodeled and with different coffees, teas, and locally baked goods. I do not know if it is fair trade and could not find information on their website. 

4. emc

Shade-grown coffee tastes noticeably different.  When allowed to grow in its natural environment (under the canopy) coffee matures slower and acquires an even deeper, richer flavor.  Some fair trade farmers use the shade-grown technique.  So if you buy fair-trade coffee that is also shade grown, you will most likely taste a difference.

I’m sure the actual product whether it is coffee or conflict minerals is no different in quality or taste than a non-fair trade coffee or non-conflict minerals. It is how they are acquired that makes the difference and by using money to determine which product is profitable is the difference.