Help identifying a poisonous wild shrub

I live in the northeast US, it has been pretty warm here and didn’t snow last winter, so there have been some new bugs, but I think most of the plants are still native. There is a thorny shrub growing in a wild area near us that has been giving my fiance allergic skin reactions, and we can’t seem to figure out what it is. It almost looks like some kind of brambles, but not quite. Here’s how I’ve been trying to identify it:
About 2 ft tall
Red, thorny stems
Leaves are elliptical, toothed and alternate, with 3 leaflets each

It seems like the animals are avoiding it too, all the grass around is matted down giving a good buffer from this plant. The grasses and other weeds that are immediately next to it are matted into the plant, and these crazy spiders are living in it. The spiders are mostly brown and furry, and they have black and tan stripes running down their back that seem to disguise them as seeds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

0

Answers