Have you seen ‘The Bear Whisperer” on Animal Planet? If so…

did it bother you that the bear wildlife manager’s job was to make bears scared of humans, yet he would take time by himself to hang out with bears calmly, thereby making the bears more comfortable with humans?

I haven’t seen the show, but I’ve heard about it. I think it’s great that they are attempting to teach the bears to stay out of cities rather than killing them. If they think its possible to teach the bears to stay away from cities, but not hurt people, it could be a good lesson. But, if mixed signals is all that they are sending, they should just work on protecting the cities.

greenlander: thanks for sharing your thoughts. You should definitely check out the show. (It’s not scary). After you do, it would be great to hear if you have any additional thought re this.

It’s a worthy shot, though it does seem a bit far fetched. I think mainly, however, it helps to educate the viewing public, and that is always a plus.  We must remember these are wild animals and when they encroach on us, it is likely a response to us encroaching on them.