Have you ever tried using baking soda and vinegar for a clogged sink instead of Drano? Did it work well for you?

5

Answers

I have personally never tried it, but it is a tried and true method to unclog sinks that is effective and environmentally friendly.

Here are the steps on how to unclog a sink using baking soda and vinegar:

1. Put about 3/4 cup of baking soda down the sink.

2. Pour 1/2 of vinegar down the drain right after the baking soda. Cover the the drain right after you pour the vinegar with a rag or plug..or a mini-explosion (nothing fatal, just messy) will occur..

3. Leave the drain full of vinegar and baking soda for 30 minutes.

4. After 30 minutes, slowly pour boiling hot water down the drain.

You should have a clear drain in no time.

Yeah I have noticed one key thing when using this home remedy for clogged sinks – the clog is less likely to come right back!  I realize that any tub or sink clog is going to be its own special issue, but just on average I’ve probably used baking soda/vinegar for half my clogs and Drano for the other half.  It seemed like I would have to keep buying more Drano for the same clog, whereas when I used the baking soda + vinegar I only had to use it once.

Then again, maybe I was using the Drano incorrectly.

I have used baking soda and vinegar to unclog clogs in my drains and sinks. This seems to work best when the clog is not very bad. I had to use Drano when baking soda did not work. If you catch the clogs early enough, this method will work just fine and is a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly than Drano.

We used to use this method at a job I had where the toilet has particularly sensitive plumbing. We also liked to use environmentally friendly products because we were working up in the mountains and wanted to help preserve the beautiful environment. This method seemed to work well, as another respondent said, when the clog wasn’t too bad. The key is to go slowly and start with small amounts so it doesn’t run over the edge of the toilet or sink.

For a sparkling white kitchen sink, place paper towels across the bottom of your sink and saturate with household bleach. Leave for an hour or so. Scrub and rinse.

chicago rapid basement restoration