Have you ever engaged in any form of guerrilla gardening? If so, please share your experience.

1. mle

The closest I’ve come is harvesting rhubarb and crabapples that I’ve found in vacant lots or on the side of streets.  I’m interested to read other responses!

Last summer my mom and I snuck over to the neighbor’s overrun and neglected “yard” to see if they had ripe blackberries and apples. Their yard sounds like a prime place to guerrilla garden, actually. 

Yes!  I actually wrote the blog post you’re referring to, so my experience is described there.  I also made seeds bombs (I couldn’t include my experience with those due to length limitations).  I combined clay from an art store (biodegradable), plant food, seeds, and potting soil together (about 5 parts clay to 1 part seed to 1 part fertilizer to 1 part potting soil).  After mixing well, I rolled out little 1 inch balls and allowed them to harden.  They turned out great, although I have not been able to test them yet—we were getting hints of spring but now it’s snowing as I type this, so I’m planning on holding off on them until the weather gets a bit nicer.  But there’s a big empty lot right across from my apartment building that I think would be the perfect place to chuck a few seed bombs and see if anything comes up in the spring!

Yes, I have planted some beet, carrot, rhubarb, ground nut, ground cherry, and bean seeds in a waste area near my house.  The area was an old railroad pathway that was being used as a trail.  I scratched the clay soil with a stick before adding the seeds.  I came back a few times and found that a lot of the seeds were growing.  However, in a few more weeks they began being browsed by deer.  In the end the plot was completely eaten.  I learned that preparing the soil beforehand will improve the root growth, so that even if the plants are eaten they will come back.  Another, strategy is to plant in small scattered patches to avoid an obvious garden plot.  Also, planting a plot in a somewhat urban area will prevent it from being eaten by deer.  I think a great strategy in an urban situation would be to plant root vegetables with some plain wildflower seeds.  That way the wildflowers disguise the vegetables while creating a micro-environment for beneficial insects.