Have we used less paper since the invention of the internet?

I don’t have a definitive answer to this question, but I would hope that the answer would be yes.  Additionally, because of increased access to the internet, other countries will hopefully skip some of the excessive paper use that we went through here in the United States.  That does not mean that deforestation is not ongoing or that using trees for other reasons has decreased all over the world.  But with online transaction processing, news, communications such as Skype, blogs, ready access to .pdf’s and the ability to share documents, even the ability to see and experience places you may never be able to travel to (no brochures, no tickets, there should be less paper used.

I would also like to think yes, but printers have become so common, many things are printed out that may not be necessary. That being said, I know I’ve receieved many many things online that never needed to be printed. 

3. mle

According the the link below, the Internet has not decreased the amount of paper used in the US.  Interestingly, the article also says paper consumption (globally) has grown by 400% in the last 40 years.