Have there been any pro-choice activists who have teamed up with environmentalists to use the overpopulation crisis as an important reason to keep abortion legal, safe, and accepted among the majority?

Yes, and the cited article is just one example of how abortion rights and overpopulation have been linked. However, I think anyone with even a mediocre background in rhetoric could tell you that what is expressed in this article is a bit extreme, and certainly harsh toward at least one belief system.

Personally, I do not believe that abortion should be used as a solution for overpopulation problems. Instead, I think a focus on sustainable living and the use of contraceptives to end some of the problems of population should be advocated. When we focus on abortion as a solution for overpopulation, we bring up a whole host of ethical problems that serve to create boundaries and enemies rather than comrades in the fight for environmental responsibility.