Have digital cameras radically increased the use of batteries?

I am not sure if this is true. Film cameras also use batteries. People may take more pictures now that they have a digital camera, but batteries are better than in the past and I have a rechargeable battery for my camera, so there is no waste. There now also is the option to recycle batteries, helping the environment. Digital photography has reduced the amount of film, the waste of packaging of the film (cardboard box and plastic canister) and the amount of pictures (and the associated packaging) that are printed. People also save on gas from not having to drive to the store to pick up their pictures.

People may use slightly more batteries now with digital cameras, but I think the camera is more eco-friendly.