has craigslist helped the environment?

Craigslist has helped to conserve the environment. The online listings has helped save paper resources, and therefore trees, that would otherwise be printed with announcements.

Craigslist also helps to connect ecologically-oriented people through job searches or their groups.

Craigslist is extremely environmental. It allows people to reuse things that other people no longer want instead of throwing them out or even recycling. Although recycling is good, it still consumes a lot of energy and is not that efficient. Craigslist simply allows people in the same area to buy things from each and doesn’t force people to send things large distances. 

I agree with slitwac1, Craigslist has fostered a buy/sell/trade culture where people are encouraged to resell and reuse items or buy a used item instead of buying something brand new. Since almost anything can be advertised on Craigslist, the site lists eco-friendly products, hybrid cars, and green collar job listings. By buying used items on Craigslist, you avoid packaging and shipping and transport costs. By listing online instead of in the newspaper classifieds, Craigslist saves paper while giving people a centralized resource. 

I definitely think so, specifically the “free” section. There are often listings for free moving boxes or pieces of furniture on street corners or in peoples’ homes, and all you have to do is go pick them up! This is a great way to reduce waste, and its a bit like treasure hunting. I always check out the free section when I’m on craigslist, just in case.